Thursday, September 4, 2008

Gossip Girl in SA







Gossip Girl starts on DSTV's channel Go this on month! Yay! I feel like that's all I need to say by way of introduction, unless you have been living in social Siberia for the past year. But, I just cant help writing a whole long post on how absolutely fab this show is and how much anyone that was ever addicted to the OC, 90210 (not the new generation, which premiered in the US last night), Desperate Housewives, etc will love it.






Gossip Girl is basically The OC transported to New York. Several story lines follow rich teenagers around in all their messed-up -substance-abusing -best-friend's boyfriend-stealing glory. They are extremely well-dressed (I'll get into this later). The dysfunctional parents get airtime too. Its escapism in its purest, most stylish form.



Ok, now its time for the clothes. This is a fashion blog, after all. School uniforms are a major feature - Ralph Lauren blazers, full make-up, boots, Marc by Marc Jacobs flats, headbands, tights. Yes, not exactly what I wore on an average day to school, but then again I wasnt a heiress living on the Upper East side. Gossip Girl has been a significant trend setter in the US.




Here's a short list of the big fashion loves from the show (and because I cant help but indulge my love for bullet points):


- headbands


- crested blazers


- coloured tights (definately not the foot-less variety)


- lots of embellishment


- the essential preppy handbook (that's all I'm saying)






Gossip Girl is on on Wednesdays 18.30 on Go.




No comments: